We love Jesamyn Ward. Not only is she a two-time National Book Award winner, but her work explores the rich DEIJA issues that educators worldwide aim to discuss with their students. Her lyrical prose, magical realism, and alternating points of view make for a rich literary experience for any high school student. It’s a mainstay with us, and our students greatly benefit from reading this work.
This literary unit includes:
- 10 complete lessons
- Essential contextual background
- Formative assessments (oral and written)
- 3 summative assessment pathways with samples
- Discussion questions
- Student sample writing
- Range of speaking and writing activities
- Page numbers and audiobook timestamps for quick reference
- Graphic organizers, sentence stems, and more!